13 Things You Need to Know About the COVID-19 Pre-Departure Test
1. What is a pre-departure test (PDT)?
A pre-departure test or simply called PDT is a type of COVID-19 test (also commonly known as Polymerase Chain Reaction or PCR) which you need to take prior to travelling to or from your home country. In some countries, an antigen rapid test (ART) is an acceptable alternative to the PCR test as a PDT.
2. Why do I need to take a PDT?
PDTs are mandatory for most countries because you are required to have proof of a negative result before you are allowed to fly.
3. What are the different types of PDTs that I could choose from?
4. I’m travelling to China soon. Which PDTs do I need to take?
Travellers to China will need either COVID-19 PCR Test and COVID-19 Serology (IgM) tests or COVID-19 PCR Test and COVID-19 Serology (N Protein) Qualitative tests. For more info on travel into China, visit http://www.chinaembassy.org.sg. Note: there is no PDT (Express) service for travellers to this country.
5. I’m travelling with my children. Do they need to take a PDT?
Children who are three (3) years old and above (born in and before 2018) and departing for Singapore from their first point of embarkation on or after 27 Jun 2021 are subjected to a PDT. Kids below three (3) are exempted.
6. Where and how do I book my PDT?
7. Why is it advisable to book my PDT via the SmooveX app?
- It’s a one-stop service. Aside from providing PDT services, the app provides comprehensive COVID-19 information on multiple destinations.
- It’s convenient. Book a PDT appointment and pay for it electronically anytime, anywhere – all through the app.
- It’s reliable. Smoove Xperience Pte Ltd is a deep-tech, travel industry-focused company that has partnered with Fullerton Health. It’s worth noting that FHG is a leading integrated healthcare platform that provides affordable and accessible care for all in Asia Pacific.
8. When should I take a PDT?
Your PDT and results must be done within 48 to 72 hours before your flight, depending on your destination’s requirements.
9. My travel plans have changed. Can I cancel my appointment?
Unfortunately, no cancellations or refunds can be made.
10. I booked my PDT on the SmooveX app. How do I reschedule my appointment?
Call the Fullerton Health Group call centre at +65 6333 3636 (Option 2) to check for the next available appointment clinic slot.
11. What documents do I need to bring on the day of my PDT?
- NRIC (for Singaporeans or PRs), FIN (foreign workers), or passport.
- Hard or soft copy of your medical chit booking confirmation from SmooveX.
- Hard or soft copy of your flight booking confirmation.
12. When will I receive my PDT result?
Fullerton Health Group will email your PDT results within 24 hours, while those who availed the Express service will receive it within six (6) hours. ART results will be available within 30 mins.
13. Where do I obtain an official PDT certificate?
All outbound travellers taking their PCR PDTs in Singapore will receive a digital results certificate, and are required to digitally authenticate and endorse the digital test certificate via https://www.notarise.gov.sg before travel. A notarised PDT ensures that the result and certificate is issued and authenticated by the Ministry of Health (i.e. it is issued by an approved clinic/lab and has not been tampered with).